PEATOL/TAIG: the most beautiful affordable metal lathe




I bought a PEATOL/TAIG because i need a small lathe (despite i have a 7x20 lathe) i can operate in my house. I have known about it from the conspicuous fans all over the world.


Peatol/Taig lathe overview

The Peatol 0,18kW motor, 1360 rpm

Here some links if you want to know more about PEATOL/TAIG:
Peatol Machine Tools: the home of PEATOL/LATHE;
Deansphotografica: beautiful projects;
CarterTools: the biggest resource i know about taig;
LeeValley Instruction booklet;

I received it from Peter of Peatol (UK) on August, and now i'm showing it once assembled the base, the motor and it's fully functional. The motor was blue so i repainted to black.

I assembled also the motor mount from aluminium with primitives dovetails. My version of lathe come with powerfeed already installed and a sturdy block of aluminium for raise the entire lathe.

This is my start package:

1015Micro lathe with power feed
1030Four jaw chuck, with reversible, heat-treated steel jaws
10921/16"-3/8" Jacobs chuck
1150Drilling tailstock - lever operated
1151Needle bearing centre - spring loaded
1160Spare belt
11616 step pulley set (2 pulleys) including Vee belt for 11mm motor shaft
10956 piece tool bit set - HSS, left & right, round nose, boring bar, cutoff, 45 degree chamfer
1200Compound top slide - mounts on cross-slide for cutting angles and tapers - with toolpost
1002New electric motor - 11mm shaft
 ?Drill chuck arbour - attaches Jacobs chucks to headstock spindle
1173T-bar cutoff tool, height adjustable


Peter form Peatol said me this is a very comprehensive set of components to give a working lathe, and i must admit he was right.
For the base i used a wood block from a ikea countertop (very hard), a drip pan upside down and a wooden frame to finish the base. To lock the lathe and the motor's dovetail to the wood base i used brass barrels in the bottom plane.


A review: this lathe is beautiful, sturdy, small, precise, simple to assemble and use. A must for every workshop. This is only a start because there are a lot of implementations you can do to this little lathe.



The pulley system, note the rubber band
The toolpost, simple and effective
To enable the power feed you simply lock the handywheel 
I think i will replace the spring with a coupler 
The Taig headstock


My home made motor mount with dovetails

The depth stop

I bought also two IGaging Scales (IGaging site), a 6" and a 12" which i've cut to size and mounted on X and Y axes. I've planned to convert the DRO to Yuriy's Touch Dro (Yuriy's Toys Dro) using a tablet and a TI launchpad.



A closeup of the lathe and IGaging Scale 
The IGaging side support
The other IGaging support
The stock IGaging magnetic reader.
With IGaging in this position you lose some x width with tool post installed.


Update 2016/11: check out also Peatol/Taig steady rest , radius turner , milling attachment on this blog.

5 comments:

  1. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We provide first-class quality Lathe Machines in Pakistan. Automobiles Machinery, tools and their services included. Get instant price quote from Noor MC. Lathe machine in Faisalabad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your article; it is very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it. laser welding machine

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts